for SEL Leadership Teams
This year-long, in-school program helps schools achieve and sustain comprehensive, effective, school-wide Open Circle implementation. Team members learn to conduct an ongoing, cyclical strategic planning process for strengthening social and emotional learning (SEL) throughout their school community that includes:
- Setting a vision for SEL
- Gathering climate & behavior data
- Assessing the current reality of SEL
- Setting measurable goals
- Developing and implementing an action plan
- Monitoring progress and evaluating outcomes
As a result of ongoing use of this process, schools benefit from: broadened ownership for SEL, strengthened classroom and school climate, improved quality and consistency of Open Circle Meeting facilitation, greater infusion of Open Circle vocabulary and approaches throughout the school day, and integration of SEL into school improvement plans & family engagement initiatives. Schools with Sustainability Teams complete their school-wide Open Circle implementation and fully realize the positive impacts of SEL on student outcomes.
Participation in this program includes:
- 2 days of on-site training (1½ days in summer, ½ day in early winter)
- On-site consultations with Open Circle trainers (in spring prior to training, fall, and winter)
- 8 copies of the Open Circle Sustainability Leaders’ Manual
- 14 Professional Development hours
Who Should Attend
Each sustainability team typically consists of 5-8 members, including:
- At least one administrator (e.g. principal or assistant principal)
- At least two grade-level teachers who use the Open Circle Curriculum, preferably from a range of grades
- Other invested staff and members of the school community, such as counselors, school psychologists, special subject teachers, media specialists, afterschool program staff, paraprofessionals, and parents
Team members must make a year-long commitment to attend all training events and meet regularly (biweekly or monthly).
How to Register
Contact us to set up a Sustainability Team at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-283-3277.